• This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

250 Bel Marin Keys Blvd, Suite D-6 Novato, CA 94949

The Law Office of Dainelle E. Creedon

Call Now for Your
Free Consultation

What Are My Alternatives to Social Security Disability?

At the Law Office of Danielle E. Creedon, it is our goal to ensure that the people of Novato avail themselves of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) if they suffer from a disability that prevents them from working. Unfortunately, there are times when the Social Security Administration will deny an application for not meeting their financial and disability requirements. If you are seeking Social Security Disability benefits in Novato, the Law Office of Danielle E. Creedon provides comprehensive and effective legal assistance, preparing you with helpful alternatives to SSDI, including appealing your denial and taking advantage of Supplemental Security Income.

A Social Security Disability Lawyer in Novato Can Increase Your Chances of Success

The biggest mistake many people make in the process of applying for Social Security Disability Insurance is failing to appeal a denial. If you have received a notice of denial, do not be discouraged: many deserving applicants are declined at first because they made a correctable mistake on a claim sheet or lacked the ability to fully describe the extent of their disability. An SSDI application is complex, filled with medical and legal terms that are unfamiliar to the average person and requiring a substantial amount of paperwork. The Law Office of Danielle E. Creedon provides you with a Social Security disability lawyer who can reexamine your application, find ways to strengthen your claim and keep you informed every step of the way while you are in the appeals process.

An alternative to SSDI is Supplemental Security Income, commonly known as SSI. Social Security Disability is generally more difficult to obtain and has a strict application process. To be eligible for SSDI, you must have paid Social Security taxes during recent employment, be suffering from a severe disability that prevents you from working for a year or longer and be unable to do other kinds of work. To be eligible for SSI, you must be a disabled or blind adult who has limited income and limited resources. You can receive a monthly payment from the federal government based on your income, and the state of California adds a monetary supplement to that amount which is administered by the Social Security Administration.

If you are eligible for SSI, you can usually get medical assistance (Medi-Cal) automatically without a separate application. People who receive SSI in California are not eligible for SNAP or food stamps because the state makes a supplemental payment to your federal benefits. You may, however, be able to qualify for SNAP if your SSI application is pending or denied. Your local welfare office may also be able to provide you with an allowance for a service dog, domestic or personal care services and protective services.

There are other major types of Social Security Disability benefits besides SSI and SSDI, which are the two most common. If you are over the age of 50 and have become disabled shortly after the death of your husband or wife, you may qualify for Disabled Widow’s and Widower’s Benefits. The deceased must have worked a certain amount under Social Security in order to be insured. If you have become disabled before the age of 22 and are the child of someone who is drawing SSDI or retirement benefits, you may be eligible for Disabled Adult Child benefits.

Help is available for your SSD case. Call today for a consultation.

The federal government and the state of California want to provide for those who are disabled and cannot work, yet many people are unaware of the many ways that they can receive help from the government if they are physically or mentally unable to work. If you are currently disabled, there are ways for you to supplement your income. An experienced Social Security Disability lawyer can help you make ends meet for you and your loved ones. Contact the Law Office of Danielle E. Creedon at 415-847-1610 for more information about how we can help you with Social Security Disability and other claims.